Preventing Water Damage
Here at SERVPRO of Jonesboro, we are water damage specialists. Here are a few tips to help prevent water damage from happening often in your home:
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts- Clean gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockages. Standing water in gutters can cause damage to both the gutters and roof. Do not forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through. It is also important to secure downspouts so that they point away from your home.
- Know Location of Your Water Main- know the location of your water main and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time.
- Check Appliances Regularly- Check and maintain your appliances regularly for leaks according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Investigate Leaks Right Away and Fix Promptly- If you choose to ignore any water damage, or postpone making the necessary repairs, be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home.
- Upgrade Washing Machine Hoses- Old, brittle, or leaky washing machine hoses are among the most frequent causes of water loss for homeowners. Replace yours often to avoid expensive damage.
- Check Your Water Pressure- If the water pressure to your home is too high, then your pipes and hoses may fail under the high pressure. You can check your water pressure by purchasing a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet on to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home’s water pressure. Typical home water systems are designed for a pressure of 40-70 psi. Anything above 70 psi will put your plumbing at risk.
- Monitor Your Water Bill- Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is by taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next, then there is probably a leak somewhere in the home.
If you do unfortunately experience water damage at your residence or business, we are here to help. Call us at (870) 934-0501.