Preparing for a Home Fire
7 Ways to Prepare for a Home Fire
- Test fire alarms at least once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
- Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
- Plan escape routes and make sure all family members know the safe place to meet outside the home.
- Establish a family emergency contact plan and ensure all household members know who to contact in separated.
- Have a practice fire drill at your home at least twice a year. This can be done by pressing the smoke alarm test button or yelling “Fire” to alert everyone they must go.
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
- Teach household members to Stop, Drop, and Roll if clothes catch on fire.